so did the post office and on January 1, 1949, it was moved into a new brick building owned by Mrs. Maurice Rogers, opposite the cemetery on Orange Center Road. Later, in the 1960's the post office moved to the Boston Post Road (Milford Turnpike). The Orange branch of the People's Savings Bank of Bridgeport enlarged the old building on Orange Center Road and still occupies the property. On February 20, 1967 , the new post office building on Old Tavern Road was dedicated.
One-Line Telephone System
In 1880 a privately-owned telegraph line was installed between the homes of two brothers, Edward L. Clark of Orange and Elias T. Clark of Woodbridge. This was the forerunner of the first telephone system which was inaugurated in Orange in 1895 as a single, private, party line from the homes of Sylvester Colburn, Charles S. Clark and Arthur D. Clark extending to Scobie's general store. Later four other circuits were established with a switchboard in the store.
On October 13, 1908, the Southern New England Telephone Company took over the town's telephone system which by then had 48 subscribers. The switchboard, located in the former home of Alpheus N. Merwin, was known as the Orange Telephone Exchange.
In keeping with the farming nature of the community, the Orange Grange #128 was organized in the Town Hall on December 18, 1891. Meetings were held on the second and fourth Mondays of each month.
On September 15, 1898, an agricultural fair was held on the
[picture caption] A page from the Orange Fair program listing admission fees, train schedules and train excursion rates.